Oct 23, 2008

Freeway Flirting

I just dont get it.

Not only do I attract gardeners and truck drivers but now, weird men on the freeway.

Is this what our society has digressed to? Instead of being hit on in person, now it's not only through cyberspace but through separate cars driving at high speeds???

This depresses me.

What happened to chivalry? To being woo'd (if that's even how you spell it)?

What happened to ROMANCE? Courting? Face to flippin' face relationships?!?

It's like the world has become devoid of human contact, we're breeding generations to communicate to each other and have RELATIONSHIPS through the computer??? What is that all about?

You're probably thinking I'm crazy or out of mind or paranoid. No. I assure you, I'm none of these things. Let me explain.

The other day I was driving along, minding my own business when out of my peripheral vision I notice a car that's been riding next to me for a while. I look over and the guy smiles at me. Being who I am, I just figured he was being friendly so I smile back.

Big mistake. BIG.

He continues to ride next to me. But now, to get my attention, he's waving his hands. I look over and he's grinning and waving me to come over (ahem, come over where?!)...

I laugh because I realize at that moment, how sad the situation was... and because he was making a fool of himself and my laugh just couldn't be helped. He starts making hand movements which I suppose meant he wanted to talk to me and to get off the freeway.

(Yeah right, like I want to be murdered by some loon who's trying to pick me up on the freeway, I watch CSI)

I shake my head no (all the while smiling because I am in complete and utter shock that someone is trying to pick me up on the FREEWAY) and speed up to get away from him. In order for me to accomplish this I had to move into the right lane since the car ahead of me wasn't driving the speed I deemed suitable for getting away from the loon.

Big mistake number two.

He thought I was getting off the freeway, so what does he do? He follows me. As I watch him slide across two lanes and speed up to get behind me I start to worry: Is this guy gonna follow me to the office??? Fortunately, for me, I like to push the limits of what my car is capable of... And sometimes I fantasize about being a stunt car driver. At the last possible minute, instead of exiting the freeway I swing back into the slow lane and continue on my way. Sans loon.

Happy ending yes?

Well, maybe not for the loon.

2 Comments:

  1. So@24 said...
    I know what you mean with lack of face to face communication...

    I'm sad to see it go too, but I stopped trying to old on. Maybe this is the way it is now. :(
    Katie said...
    Chivalry is dead, sadly.

    I tend to find it though, inside of mommy loving men, who the only thing that they do have going for them is Chivalry...so sad.

Post a Comment